Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilee Weekend

Its the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this weekend with a double bank holiday today and tomorrow, which makes it a very short week workwise! Yesterday's events were a bit of a washout with the deteroriating weather. I had been looking forward to seeing the Thames River Pageant but it was completely ruined by the absolutely abysmal coverage on the beeb; the images were fine but the inane comments especially by the 'presenters' in the studio made the whole thing really tiresome. The only bits I liked were the Gloriana boat and the 'arts and crafts' bridge where twenty painters were painting the scene. In fact it would have been lovely just have watched them!
This evening is the Jubilee concert being held in front of Buckingham Palace and hopefully this will be as good as it sounds!

Being newish to my street still, I had asked some of my neighbours if they ever held street parties but was met with a resounding "no.......not unless you want to organise it!"
Part of me wishes I had stepped up to the plate and organised a little get together but on other hand I'm on my own for a few days while my son stays with his dad, and really this sort of thing is for the kids isn't it?
At least I have put some bunting up! And I'm tempted to leave it up while we enjoy this wonderful summer (when it arrives) of European football, wimbledon and then of course the London Olympics.
I think there are still some tickets available for Olympic events. The torch relay passes near here in a month's time that I will drag TK out to see and we just found out the Queen is visiting Hitchin in 10 days so will take him to see her drive past too!

And what about my quilting?
Well yesterday was a bit of a washout creativity-wise too. Half of the day has usually gone by the time I have driven to the ex's house and back to drop TK off and I just didn't seem to have any interest in doing anything, although I did manage some piecing of our SBS blocks in the evening.
I have however created a couple of new quick quilts for kits. The first uses fabrics from the Grandeur collection.


I'm quite pleased with how it has come together. The second quilt isn't quite finished yet as I need to add a dark marble border to balance it. Its made with fabrics from the Imperial Collection 8 from Robert Kaufman.

The good news is Ferret has finished quilting my layer cake quilt! I haven't seen what she has done with it yet, but not long to wait as she is handing it back to me at Sandown in a few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment