Sunday 5 May 2013

A Good Day's Quilting

Spring has finally sprung here and we have some beautiful weather this weekend. This always gives me a real dilemma. As it's the weekend I can finally get down to some serious guilt-free sewing as I don't *have* to work but on the other hand when the sun is shining I feel that I should get out in the garden, especially as I am a bit of a fair weather kind of gardener!
 
I've been designing and making quite a few quilt tops recently using Hoffman pre-cuts, with a view to making them up as patterns but of course they need quilting. And they need quilting before I can have the pattern for sale! I hoping to release the first one at Quilts UK in a couple of weeks so I can show you a sneak peak but not the whole quilt just yet. It's made using a Bali Cracker ie layer cake. It was the first time I had stippled quilted ANYTHING and not quilting in straight lines was totally out of my comfort zone!
 
 
 
I'm quite pleased with my effort. Just need to add a bit more stippling to some bits of background in the centre and add the binding...........and its done!
 
I have had real problems with the wadding though. Its a polyester batting, one of the ones on the bolt from Legacy by Pellon. So much fluff and fibre has come through the fabric, not as I'm stitching just generally.
 
 
I was really disappointed although it seems to have settled down a bit now.
What I was amazed at was how quickly I was able to quilt. I know stippling isn't the most exciting of machine quilting techniques but hey it's a start!
 
So its onwards and upwards!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Joanna,

    Just popping in via Lily's Quilts...

    Love the colours of the batiks, would love to see the whole thing!

    Funny you should mention Quilts UK. I have a hanging sleeve to sew this week...

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Muv, I will look out for it!

      Planning on having this quilt on display on my stand at the show.........with a pattern available.

      Delete